Monday, July 9, 2012

A Smorgasbord of Creatures

Family Photo. Left: Pedro the Meyer's Parrot on his cage. Middle: Albert the Golden Retriever. Right: Edgar the female cat
 I haven't had this much pet sitting variety since I watched the house with 3 horses, a lamb, donkey, pig, llama, gecko, frog, sugar gliders, rats, and 5 dogs.  Okay, so maybe nothing can top that gig, but this one is a close second.  I got to take care of a sweet older Golden Retriever named Albert, the two kitties I mentioned in my previous post (Edgar and Ada), Pedro the Meyer's parrot, and King the Beta fish. 

Every morning and night Albert, Edgar and I would set out on our daily walks -- that's right -- I said Edgar.  Every time I would leash up Albert, grab his poop bag and open the door to set off on our walk, inevitably Edgar the cat would wait by the door ready to go too.  He would tail behind us and walk the entire route.  Sometimes he'd stop to smell the flowers but when he realized he was getting behind he'd run to catch up, calling to us in a desperate meow telling us to wait for him. 
Edgar following us on our walk

Daily walk with Edgar and Albert
Albert always greeted me with a big grin.  Yes, he actually smiles.  It almost looks like he's bearing his teeth like an aggressive dog would, but don't be deceived because he couldn't be happier to see you for his big happy tail is joyfully wagging to and fro.


Pedro is a medium sized hook bill Meyer's parrot of African descent.  He is very social and friendly.  He willingly climbs onto your hand and perches on your shoulder.  Though he doesn't talk, he does repeat something that sounds something like "poo too". 


He was un-phased by Albert or the cats and let me wander throughout the whole house content on my shoulder. 
I coincidentally snapped this shot of me and Pedro, but it appears as though Edgar snuck onto my shoulder too.
Ada the Calico is very sweet but also shy.  She emerged on her terms but always welcomed a friendly petting.

And King, the Beta, lives a simple life ruling over his little underwater kingdom.

2 comments:

  1. I love that Edgar wanted to go for walks too! So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so funny and almost like clockwork! I've never seen a cat do that before. Thanks for reading. :)

    ReplyDelete